Friday, April 5, 2013

A Friend of Friends Friday -Kent County Delaware

 Most of the remainder of Kent County Guardian  Accounts  mentioning persons of color are itemized here. I skipped to the records in which we would find these folks in census and other records. Note also that at this time in Delaware, many of those who are mentioned have term limits or are paid wages.

Will 1827 - I, George Cummins, of Duck Creek Hundred, do make this my last will and Testament: I give to my wife Maria Cummins, the service of my Negro girl Rebecca until the term of her servitude shall expire at the end of 12 years from the time I purchase the said Rebecca, the service of my Negro boy Sampson until he shall arrive at the age of 28 at which time he will be entitled to his freedom...I give to my daughter Sarah Collins Cummins the 260 acres of land on which I dwell ( except a lot of land thereof hereinafter devised to Daniel Sanders Negro and his wife Harriet) which tract of land is adjacent to Doctor James Jones and William Rinngold...
I give to Daniel Sanders, a Negro man who I raised and his wife Harriet during their  joint lives and to the survivor of them the house and houses where they now live..after their death to my daughter Sarah Collins Cummins..
I hereby set free the Negro woman Fanny who formerly belonged to John Crocket..
Codicil: I hereby revoke the said bequest to my wife of the Negro boy Sampson and order that the term of service of the Negro boy Sampson shall pass with the residue of my estate..

January 1829- July 1834 - Guardians for George David Cummins minor - received rent of Jefferey Cotton, Negro tenant..

 February 1822- Oct. 1825 - a  series of accounts Elizabeth Dorman minors of George Dorman. Cash paid Black man Dick for repairs

6 Dec. 1824  Jehu Davis guardian to John Davis son of Mathias Davis presents accounts..Wages of Negro man Luke for one year..

July 1804- 1812 A series of Accounts Caleb Barrett Guardian to John Robertson minor son to Alexander Robertson...cash paid to nursing Silvery Robertson, coffin, winding sheet  & digging grave , paid James Fry for nursing Ben, coffin, winding sheet & digging grave. Cash paid Peter Many for the board of Negro Silvey when sick.. cash paid  S. Lodain, Negro for washing.

Jan. 1763-1769 Caleb Luff guardian to Margret Rodney presents account. Negro Woman Cecilia bought of Caleb Luff.

15 Feb. 1780 Benjamin Hazell guardian  to  Fidelia Robertson minor of John Rogerson of Philadelphia. One Negro girl named Chloe valued at 45 pounds.

12 August 1807 - Personal Estate of Mathew Clark, decd. Account. James Finsthwait be charged with difference between appraised value and sold value of Negro boy Robert and Negro boy Richard.

12 August 1807 - In the Orphans Court , balance overpaid  the difference of the appraised value of Negroes Richard, Patrick, Robert and Matthew and the sum  for which they are sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment